Transfer Credit Policy
Academic credits earned in graduate courses completed at other ATS-accredited graduate schools may be transferred to a Bexley Seabury degree program upon written request to the Academic Dean (or designee), subject to the following requirements and limitations:
- Transfer credit may be granted for courses that are substantially comparable to Bexley Seabury courses and compatible with the curricular requirements of the applicable Bexley Seabury degree program.
- The comparability of courses to Bexley Seabury course content or requirements is determined by theAcademic Dean (or designee) who may consult with and defer to the appropriate Bexley Seabury faculty member.
- Credit for courses with a grade of NC, F, Audit, P or a letter grade below B will not be accepted for transfer credit.
- All final transfer credit determinations under this policy are made at the sole discretion of the Academic Dean (or designee).
Master of Divinity Program
- Students who seek to transfer credits into the Bexley Seabury Master of Divinity program from another ATS-accredited Masters-level degree program that has not been and will not be completed, must complete a minimum of 27 credits at Bexley Seabury and otherwise meet the curricular requirements of the Bexley Seabury Master of Divinity degree in order to qualify for conferral of this Students from another seminary with which Bexley Seabury has an ATS-approved teach-out agreement are exempted from the minimum credit requirement.
- Students who already hold an MA, MTS, or similar masters-level degree in a theological discipline must complete a minimum of 33 credits at Bexley Seabury, and otherwise meet the curricular requirements of the Bexley Seabury Master of Divinity degree in order to qualify for conferral of this
- It is within the discretion of the Academic Dean (or designee) to waive certain credit distribution requirements based on a consideration of previous courses taken within a particular curricular area. However, the minimum number of credits, as specified in paragraphs 6 and 7 may not be reduced.
- In the event a course proposed for transfer is partially but not substantially comparable to a required Bexley Seabury course or does not serve to satisfy the minimum required credits for a particular curricular area, it is within the discretion of the Academic Dean (or designee) to disallow the transfer or, alternatively, to accept the proposed transfer on condition that the student take one or more additional courses in that curricular area.
- Masters-level courses completed more than ten years prior to admission to Bexley Seabury are not eligible for transfer credit. Likewise, courses taken at Bexley Hall or Seabury Western Seminary more than ten years prior to re-admission are not eligible for recognition toward completion of a Bexley Seabury degree, diploma or certificate, or toward a new Bexley Seabury degree, diploma, or certificate.
Doctor of Ministry Students
- Requests for the transfer of credits into the Bexley Seabury DMin programs must be made to the Director of the Doctor of Ministry programs who will submit a recommendation to the Academic Dean (or designee).
- Upon the recommendation of the Director of the Doctor of Ministry programs, up to two doctoral-level courses from another accredited seminary or institution of higher education may be accepted in partial fulfillment of Bexley Seabury’s Doctor of Ministry degree requirements.
- Doctoral-level courses completed more than seven (7) years prior to admission to Bexley Seabury are not eligible for transfer credit. Likewise, courses taken at Bexley Hall or Seabury Western Seminary more than seven (7) years prior to re-admission are not eligible for recognition.
Please contact Jaime Briceno with any other questions.