Christ Church Cathedral, in the Diocese of Western Kansas, is looking for a newly ordained priest or transitional deacon to serve as Curate. Working in close collaboration with the Dean, the Curate will be responsible for sharing in the overall ministry of the cathedral for worship, formation, pastoral care, and administrative leadership.
This full-time position will offer a unique opportunity to prepare for further ministry by providing significant experience in parish ministry and exposure to the ministry of Saint Francis Ministries (www.saintfrancisministries.org). Saint Francis is an international social service organization affiliated with the Episcopal Church that is headquartered in Salina, Kansas where the cathedral is located. Saint Francis provides a variety of services to children and families in several states and in Central America.
Christ Cathedral and Saint Francis Ministries have maintained a relationship for many years, clergy from Saint Francis serve regularly at the cathedral, and the Dean is Executive Vice-President and Chief Development Officer President for Saint Francis. There will be an ongoing opportunity to work with the executive leadership and other employees of Saint Francis to gain experience in areas of administration, finance, chaplaincy, major gift fund raising, marketing, etc.
Salina is a vibrant community of 50,000 in central Kansas and Christ Cathedral is located in the downtown area which has recently been revitalized as part of an extensive public/private initiative. Typically, the cathedral has two weekend services (Holy Eucharist, Rite II) with an average Sunday attendance of 100. Additionally, several hundred participate in and are part of the various ministries of the cathedral on a monthly basis. This includes a food ministry called The Welcome Table that provides a hot lunch to an average of 40 people each weekday.
- The Curate will be under the supervision and direction of the Dean, but will work largely independently, will be expected to manage his/her time and resources, and to maintain office hours
- The Curate will meet regularly with the Dean for supervision and coordination of ministry
- The Curate will work with the cathedral lay ministry staff to help oversee the day-to-day management of the cathedral
- The Curate will be expected to be a presence in Salina and work to cultivate and build relationships within the community
- At the end of the second year/beginning of the third year, the Curate, with the support of the Dean, will begin to discern a call to a more specific ministry.
- Regular participation in and planning for all liturgies, presiding and preaching on a regular basis, teaching, and preparation of bulletins
- Provide pastoral and sacramental ministry for hospital and home visitation, funerals, baptisms, and weddings
- Participate in weekly clergy/lay staff meeting
- Develop and support specific parish groups and ministries
- Interface with staff in fulfilling pastoral service and seek staff participation and support in the performance of tasks
- Attend diocesan clergy gatherings, annual retreats, and ecumenical events
To apply contact The Very Rev. David Hudges at David.Hodges@saintfrancisministries.org